In this section
The comment stream
- 1 of 31029
- 1 of 425
The news stream
- NZ First up to 8% in Roy Morgan poll 101
- Polls show National likely to win 49
- What Winston or Colin might demand 34
- NIMBYs by a different mother 28
- Immigration hits new record 16
- Bernard's Top 10 at 10 16
- 90 seconds at 9 am: Waiting for Scotland 12
- Mortgagee sale achieves 7% yield 9
- China's 'Fox Hunt 2014' targets NZ 9
- 90 seconds at 9 am: Big China decisions 7
Double Shot Interview-Harry Markopolos: "How I found the world's biggest Ponzi scheme 8 years before it collapsed, yet no one would listen'
By Bernard Hickey
Harry Markopolos appears remarkably relaxed now for someone who spent eight years of frustration and fear trying -- and failing -- to expose the world's biggest Ponzi scheme.
His is the biggest vindication in the financial history of the world.
Yet for eight years no one would listen, investigate and stop Madoff's Ponzi.
It is an extraordinary story, and Markopolos tells it well both in his New York Times best seller No one would listen, and in person in our Double Shot Interview.
This week I met up with Harry at his hotel in Auckland during a visit organised for him by the Serious Fraud Office.
He is the ultimate uncoverer of serious fraud.
His story is a cracker.
In the interview he talks about his fears for his safety, the red flags he spotted, what to watch for if you're invested in a Ponzi, how the US Securities and Exchange Commission failed, the amazing group think which let Madoff carry on for years, what Madoff thought of him and what he's doing now.
I heartily recommend the book and the interview.