In this section
Offers for readers
Follow the news from interest
The comment stream
- 1 of 31101
- 1 of 427
The news stream
- Time for Key to define his place in history 67
- Gen Ys becoming property orphans 63
- The road to cheap energy 45
- Labour in chaos as Cunliffe lashes out 44
- Fonterra cuts payout forecast to NZ$5.30/kg 39
- National in complete control 30
- NZ tax systems rated second most competitive in OECD 23
- Monday's guest Top 10 19
- Goodbye to Auckland's competitive, depressing housing market 18
- 'The end of banking secrecy' 9
NZ has largest ever annual net migration loss to Australia of 35,758 in year to November 2011, Stats NZ figures show
New Zealand experienced its largest ever net loss of migrants to Australia in the year to November 2011 as 35,758 more people departed across the Tasman than arrived during the year, Statistics New Zealand says.
The net loss surpassed the previous high of 35,400 recorded in the year to December 2008, and was up from a net loss of 20,075 in the year to November 2010, figures show.
In both directions, most migrants were New Zealand citizens.