In this section
Offers for readers
Follow the news from interest
The comment stream
The news stream
- Migration gain hits new all time high 58
- Friday's guest Top 10 47
- 90 seconds at 9 am: Another NZD run-up? 21
- 'Tax mega-rich for their Kiwi hideaways' 19
- Super Fund to refine policy after Oak loss 9
- Fonterra still seen likely to raise milk price forecast 6
- 90 seconds at 9 am: Hong Kong cuts taxes 4
- Govt to ramp up Tamaki re-development 3
- Harmoney eyes mortgage market 3
- What happened Friday 2
NZ has largest ever annual net migration loss to Australia of 35,758 in year to November 2011, Stats NZ figures show
New Zealand experienced its largest ever net loss of migrants to Australia in the year to November 2011 as 35,758 more people departed across the Tasman than arrived during the year, Statistics New Zealand says.
The net loss surpassed the previous high of 35,400 recorded in the year to December 2008, and was up from a net loss of 20,075 in the year to November 2010, figures show.
In both directions, most migrants were New Zealand citizens.