sign up log in
Want to go ad-free? Find out how, here.

How to avoid receiving a million dollar bill for burning your toast and causing a fire in your apartment block

How to avoid receiving a million dollar bill for burning your toast and causing a fire in your apartment block

How might you need to change your insurance cover if you move from a rental house to a rental apartment or townhouse?

This is a question that struck me as I fairly recently said “goodbye” to my cat, fireplace and sunny BBQ area, and “hello” to the convenience of inner-city apartment living.

I believe I’m among an increasing number of people (young Aucklanders in particular) choosing to rent smaller places in central locations, rather than paying exuberant prices to buy houses an hour’s commute away from work.

The head of product and facilities at Crombie Lockwood insurance brokers, Cheryl Stuart, says having contents insurance is the most important thing, irrespective of whether you’re renting an apartment or house.

As well as covering everything that will fall out of your dwelling if you tip it upside down, contents insurance policies cover legal liability arising from an event that damages the property you’re renting. In other words you’ll be covered if you accidently flood the bathroom and damage the carpets, or start a fire that burns the property down.

Most insurers cap this coverage at between $1 million and $2 million.

Stuart says apartment or townhouse tenants may like to consider getting greater legal liability cover, as there can be more at risk when a fire starts in an apartment building or townhouse block, than in a free-standing house.

A million dollars doesn’t go that far if a fire spreads to a few apartments, let alone the whole block.

Stuart says insurers should be willing to underwrite greater legal liability into your policy if you’re willing to pay for your extra cover.

She says doing this is more viable if you’re working through a broker rather than buying insurance direct.

The Insurance and Savings Ombudsman, Karen Stevens, hasn’t seen cases where this has been a particularly major problem for apartment renters.

She points to cases where uninsured students have caused fires in their rental properties and been crippled by the repayments they’ve had to make out of their own pockets.

Either way, she says getting contents insurance is paramount – not necessarily for the stuff you own, but for the legal liability.

Know what’s on your tenancy agreement

Stevens says, “The message to get through to people is that is if they’re going into a renting situation, they need to read the tenancy agreement. They need to know what they are likely to be liable for if anything goes wrong.”

This can be more complex if you’re renting a property where a body corporate’s involved.

She says in some situations the body corporate uses contributions from the dwellings’ owners to insure the building, but there will be different arrangements in different cases that may be worth noting.

Flatting arrangements complex for renters across the board

Stevens and Stuart say the same issues arise in apartments as they do in houses, where tenants live with people who aren’t family.

While contents insurance policies cover you and your immediate family, they don’t cover others you live with.

In flatting situations, Stevens says it’s important to check if all the tenants on the tenancy agreement are jointly or severally liable. In other words, does everyone share the burden of Flatmate A burning the place down, or will Flatmate A have to pay for the damage on their own?

Stevens says it’s important for tenants to know that they’re responsible for any damage done to their property by anyone they’ve permitted to be on the property.

So if you’ve signed a tenancy agreement that says the tenants are jointly liable, and one of your flatmates’ friends damages the property when you’re on holiday, the onus still falls on you.

Stuart notes there’s reluctance among insurers to cover flatmates as a group, so tenants need to take out their own individual contents insurance.

She admits insurers may be hesitant to provide comprehensive contents insurance to students or larger groups of people living together, so these people may have to accept watered-down policies, without accidental cover for example. However ensuring there’s legal liability is the main thing.

Treat your rental like you would your own property

Withstanding all of this, Stevens says it’s important for renters to treat their properties like their own, as any intentional negligence can see your contents insurance claim denied.

While it’s hard to draw a line in the sand in terms of how negligent is too negligent, she says, “The courts in New Zealand have said, in order for the insurer to show the person failed to take reasonable care, they have to prove the person was grossly careless, grossly negligent or reckless.

“As some of the judges have said, most of us are negligent or careless from time to time – that’s what the insurance is meant to cover. But they’ll consider what a reasonable person would have done in the circumstances of each particular case.”

This might be the difference between starting a fire from burning a piece of toast, compared to causing an explosion by putting a metallic object in the microwave.

Stevens also suggests tenants contact their landlords if there are any broken window latches or locks for example that may make the property less secure. A claim following a burglary through an insecure door might not make the cut if the tenant hadn’t endeavoured to get it fixed. 

Insurance checklist for renters:

  • Get contents insurance.
  • Make sure you’re comfortable with your level of legal liability cover.
  • Read your tenancy agreement and understand who’s responsible for what – you, your landlord and the body corporate.
  • In a flatting situation, check whether you and your flatmates are jointly or severally liable for any damage done to the property.
  • Contact your landlord if there’s anything compromising the security of the property – ie a broken door lock or window latch.
  • Treat the property like it’s your own.

We welcome your comments below. If you are not already registered, please register to comment.

Remember we welcome robust, respectful and insightful debate. We don't welcome abusive or defamatory comments and will de-register those repeatedly making such comments. Our current comment policy is here.


should I spend 100$ per month to insure my stupidity or be smart and buy a 20$ fire extinguisher if a toast burns? Why is people so crazy about insurance?


With body corporate I wonder as Generation Rent gets more popular, we will see cheap "Beyond the payments made under other cover" options.
I think you'll find the body corporate insurance is quite narrow, and probably includes things like Public Liability insurance - eg some visitor slips on the stairs and sues the building tenants as co-defendants for a leaky firehose or dropped washing on stairs.


Nice way for the insurance co's to set up the situation so they end up with double coverage on many properties, particularly with regard to the house itself.

If the landlord has rental insurance and the tenant causes a fire, the insurance may cover it - but go after the tenant as liable. Thus the renter needs what is effectively liability insurance. Result - double the total cost for effectively the same risk & cover. This is stupid for both property stakeholders, and only the insurance co benefits.

Similar situation on the topic of the apartments. Why should each renter have cover that protects the entire block? This is utterly ridiculous, as each apartment would end up being covered many times by multiple policies, and total premium outlays would be out of all proportion to the aggregate risk. The building as a whole should be insured by the body corp, and the costs shared fairly.

Nice little scam.


Doesn't Holler V Osaki overturn this? Or can the court of appeal ruled......


Tenants pay rent for use of an asset and this should cover the cost of insurance of the asset. The owner of the asset should have cover to protect their asset. Car rental charges include insurance.


When I was a student I tried to insure my contents for $1 to get the liability insurance. Nobody would do it.