The government will put NZ$42 million towards skilled job training for the Christchurch rebuild following the devastating earthquakes that hit the city on September 4 last year and February 22 this year, Minister for Social Development Paula Bennett announced in Parliament today.
“As part of this we’re increasing workforce skills with up to 3,000 more construction-related training places in polytechs using existing funding,” Bennett said.
“We’re also providing an extra NZ$42 million for 1,500 additional funded places at polytechs, private providers and ITOs as required, and providing accelerated training programmes as well,” she said. The NZ$42 million would come from the Tertiary Education budget.
The Ministry of Social Development would also provide skills brokers at ITOs [Industry Training Organisations] to work with employers to place those in training into jobs.
“MSD will also put an extra NZ$5 million in Budget 2011 to purchase further industry partnership placements to help those unemployed young people, and older people actually, to take up job opportunities from the rebuild," Bennett said.