Housing New Zealand's new social objectives are to be enshrined in legislation which will also remove the requirement for it to pay the Government a dividend.
Housing Minister Phil Twyford said it was timely for Housing NZ to focus on its eight new social objectives set by the Government.
- Providing good quality, warm, dry, and healthy rental housing for those who need it most.
- Assisting tenants to sustain a tenancy; supporting tenants to be well-connected to their communities, to lead lives with dignity, and the greatest degree of independence possible.
- Being a fair and reasonable landlord, treating tenants and their neighbours with respect, integrity and honesty.
- Building and leasing additional houses in order to meet social need and fill housing shortages where they occur.
- Managing its housing stock prudently, upgrading and managing the portfolio to ensure it remains fit for purpose.
- Assisting neighbourhoods and communities in which it operates housing to flourish as cohesive, safe and prosperous places to live.
- Working with other agencies to achieve housing policy goals and improve tenant welfare.
- Providing services and products to support people accessing affordable housing.
"Housing NZ is a very different organisation under the helm of chief executive Andrew McKenzie and under our Government," Twyford said.
"Enshrining its social objectives in legislation will ensure the organisation remains the compassionate landlord it has become.
"Changing the presumption that Housing NZ will return a surplus [to the government] will give the organisation more financial flexibility so it can build more state houses and invest in more support for their tenants."
You can receive all of our property articles automatically by subscribing to our free email Property Newsletter. This will deliver all of our property-related articles, including auction results and interest rate updates, directly to your in-box 3-5 times a week. We don't share your details with third parties and you can unsubscribe at any time. To subscribe just click on this link, scroll down to "Property email newsletter" and enter your email address.