Select chart tabs
Retail sales data is published by Statistics NZ about six weeks after the end of each month. It is one of the important components of our economy.
This chart also tracks some key sections of the retail industry:
1. Supermarket and grocery stores
2. Department stores
3. Furniture and floor coverings
4. Hardware retailing
5. Electrical and electronic goods retailing
6. Food and beverage services
7. Motor vehicle and parts retailing
8. Automotive fuel retailing
There are twenty-four major components in total in the Statistcs NZ data, as well as regional outcomes.
You will need to go to www.statistics.govt.nz to access all that additional detail. More detail on motor vehicle retailing is however available in a separate chart on this website.
The Retail Trade Survey excludes GST. In October 2010, the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC06) has been implemented for this survey. The consequential revisions have been included in the chart data.